BANGOR, Maine — Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway has agreed to pay a $30,000 fine for oil that spilled from the railroad’s Orono, Maine, shop into the Piscataquis River, Maine Public Broadcasting has reported. The deal settles claims that the railroad had violated the Clean Water Act by failing to implement a spill prevention, control, and countermeasure plan.
The fuel spilled onto the shop floor after an employee left a fuel transfer unattended in October 2009. It traveled across the shop floor and reached the river.
READ: Montreal, Maine & Atlantic settles Clean Water Act claim - TRAINS Magazine
Showing posts with label MMA maine railroad montreal maine atlantic. Show all posts
Showing posts with label MMA maine railroad montreal maine atlantic. Show all posts
Monday, April 11, 2011
Monday, January 17, 2011
Maine to take control of Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Lines
Maine to take control of Montreal, Maine & Atlantic lines today 1/14/11 - TRAINS Magazine Newswire
BANGOR, Maine — The state of Maine was to take control today of 233 miles of track that Montreal, Maine & Atlantic had attempted to abandon, Mainebiz has reported. The closing price was $19.1 million.
MM&A had proposed closing the lines, which stretch from Millinocket to Madawaska and include several branches, following closings and cutbacks at several major industries. The shippers that remained active challenged the abandonment, but the Surface Transportation Board approved it last month.
In response, the state will purchase the lines in order to preserve rail service. MM&A will continue operating the lines temporarily, but the state has requested other companies offer bids on an operations contract. The deadline is set for the end of this month, and Mark Latti, a spokesman for the Maine Department of Transportation, said the state has received “numerous inquiries.”
BANGOR, Maine — The state of Maine was to take control today of 233 miles of track that Montreal, Maine & Atlantic had attempted to abandon, Mainebiz has reported. The closing price was $19.1 million.
MM&A had proposed closing the lines, which stretch from Millinocket to Madawaska and include several branches, following closings and cutbacks at several major industries. The shippers that remained active challenged the abandonment, but the Surface Transportation Board approved it last month.
In response, the state will purchase the lines in order to preserve rail service. MM&A will continue operating the lines temporarily, but the state has requested other companies offer bids on an operations contract. The deadline is set for the end of this month, and Mark Latti, a spokesman for the Maine Department of Transportation, said the state has received “numerous inquiries.”
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)