Monday, July 11, 2011

Amtrak Downeaster Collides With Dump Truck - Berwick ME

BOSTON -- An Amtrak Downeaster that left from Boston Monday morning collided with a tractor-trailer in Maine.

The train collided with the truck at a railroad crossing at Route 4 in North Berwick at about 11 a.m. The truck and part of the train caught fire.

The driver of the truck was killed and several passengers were injured, according to Steve McCausland of the Maine Department of Public Safety.

The train left Boston's North Station shortly after 9 a.m., according to Amtrak's schedule. Patricia Quinn from the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority said that train 681 was traveling northbound with 112 passengers on board.

Witnesses said they heard a large explosion and ran the area to a "horrific sight."

"I was at my desk, and I heard the train coming, and I heard a huge explosion and thought something hit my building," said Tom Gorski, a witness who works in the area. "I ran out there, and I saw skid marks from the dump truck that probably went about 300 yards, went right through the gates."

The train continued for a half-mile before coming to a stop. The truck was carrying garbage, and debris could be seen littered along the tracks.


SOURCE: Amtrak Train Collides With Dump Truck - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment